Barbacoa Nachos with Jackfruit Recipe
by Simply Gluten Free Magazine
This plant-based barbacoa nacho appetizer recipe was created by Simply Gluten Free. This House Party-filled recipe was originally published on their website www.simplygluten-free.com and is dairy, nut and gluten-free!
Fun Fact: Nachos can be healthy-ish.
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion , diced
- 12 clove garlic , minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can jackfruit in water, drained and patted dry, seeds discarded
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper1
- (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce , minced (more or less depending on heat level desired)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 12 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 1 (12-ounce) jar House Party, Mild
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the jackfruit and smash with the back of a spoon or potato masher. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally until the jackfruit starts to sear, about 10 minutes. Add the green chilies, chipotle pepper, vegetable broth, and lime juice. Stir well, bring to a simmer, reduce heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until all the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the chips on a sheet pan or a 9 by 12 baking dish. Cook for 5 minutes. Heat the cheesy dip.
Cover the chips with the barbacoa, sprinkle the black beans around, top with the cheesy dip and put back in the oven for 5 minutes. Serve with garnishes of choice and enjoy!